Monday 20 April 2015

Why I Started Blogging

Not many of my friends know I blog. I know a lot of experienced bloggers will say I should promote my blog on my personal Facebook etc, and I understand where they are coming from - its a lot of potential readers! I choose not to do this for 3 reasons:
1. I don't want to be that person always self promoting in a place which is primarily for keeping in touch with friends.
2. I don't want my friends to feel obliged to read my posts.
3. If I get feedback on my writing, I want it to be honest, and I think friends tend to be nice, even if they didn't really like it.
Anyway, I got a little side tracked there! One of the few people who does know I blog asked me why I started. I thought it was a good question, and here's my answer:
Blogging isn't something I've always wanted to do. I've thrown the idea around before, but never in a serious, let's do this, kind of way.
At New Year, I wrote my resolutions, and one of them was to start writing a book. This is something I have always wanted to do, but keep putting off.
I knew what I wanted the book to be about. Its going to be fiction, but based loosely on a bad relationship I had which you can read about here; http://myrandommusings.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/the-relationship-that-made-me-grow-up.html
I've wrote short stories in the past but always total fiction, and always in 3rd person, and I want to write this in 1st person, so I started a blog to see how that would work. To use a cliché, to find my voice.
Originally, I was going to write a few posts and then delete the blog. I tried just writing on Word, but it didn't work. There was no motivation as it felt pointless. Its funny, because I never expected anyone to read the blog posts, but knowing that there was a chance, no matter how remote, meant there was a point to the writing.
To my surprise, people started reading my posts - not many but a few - and I continued to post.
I enjoy writing, and I'm pretty opinionated so it made sense I enjoy writing this blog.
That's when I realised that blogging wasn't just the means to an end for me, its something I want to continue doing, and I started to promote my posts on Twitter etc and got a few more readers.
I really do enjoy writing, and I now couldn't imagine not blogging.
I would be interested to know what made other people start their blogs.


Follow me on Twitter @randommusings29 and feel free to comment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment